"Nobody Knows Country Property Like We Do!"
What Makes Our Area so Special !
A Stunning Hudson Valley Sunset
Millerton village was named after Sidney Miller, a railroad contractor who helped the people of that area with the introduction of the railroad system.
Near the intersections of New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts, Millerton area is convenient to a host of cultural, outdoor and shopping venues.
Millerton was named one of "The Ten Coolest Small Towns in America" by Frommer's Budget Travel Magazine in 2007, and has been featured in the New York Times article "Williamsburg on the Hudson".
Visit the Harlem Valley Rail Trail, the Weekend Farmers Market and a host of quality shops. The Village of Millerton is within the Town of Northeast and is near the border of Connecticut. The town borders Taconic State Park.
The town was first settled around 1740 by Moravian missionaries to the native Mahican village of Shekomeko. The Town of Pine Plains was formed from the Town of Northeast in 1823. Neighboring areas include Silvernails and Mt Ross.
Pine Plains, a beautiful rural Town that is home to Stissing Mountain, the 1403 ft.mountain is formed of pre-cambrian gneiss that remains after numerous cycles of glaciation have scoured and reformed the surrounding terrain. A hike to the top will reward you with stunning views from the fire tower at the top,overlooking several glacial formed kettle ponds that are the headwaters of the Wappingers Creek. This preserve is part of the migratory flyway, over 162 bird species have been spotted here. Oakleaf Thorne and partners ran Briarcliff Farm, an expansive Black Angus farm here until about the 1980s. Today, Pine Plains hosts many thoroughbred horse farms and the world-class Mashomack Polo Club. Hershey once considered making Pine Plains the home of Hershey Chocolates. Bootlegger Dutch Schultz ran a moonshine operation in a hidden bunker on a Pine Plains farm.
Boston Corners is a small hamlet situated where the junction of the three railroads running through the town. The name was given to the locality when the State of Massachusetts owned the triangular tract of land lying west of the Taghkanic [i.e. Taconic] mountains. The mountain formed an almost impassable barrier between this spot and the seat of civil authority, and it became a sort of "city of refuge" for criminals and outlaws of all classes, who fled to it to escape from the reach of the officers of the law. On this account it also became a resort of prize-fighters, who could here carry out their brutal and inhuman purposes secure from the interference of the authorities. The celebrated fight between John Morrissey and Yankee Sullivan occurred here.
Now a rural area dotted by homes, farms and estates, it beckons all those who wish to enjoy country life.
Shekomeko was a historic hamlet in the southwest part of the town of Northeast, New York in present-day Dutchess County. It was a village of the Mahican people. They lived by a stream which Anglo-Americans later named Shekomeko Creek, after their village.
In 1740, Moravians from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, founded a mission at Shekomeko. Slowly they began to convert the Mahican, and in 1743 built a chapel. With their conversions, the Mahican community became the first Native American Christian congregation in the present-day United States.
The Shekomeko Valley has wondrous vistas that seem endless and is a place of real beauty and peace. It's easy to see why the Mahican's choose this lovely fertile land as a place to live.
Prior to European colonization, the Ancram and Ancramdale area had been occupied for thousands of years by varying indigenous cultures. Historic Native American nations included the Mahican and Wappinger.
Recorded as part of the land grant to the Livingston family, this area on the Roeliff Jansen Kill was originally called "Livingston Forge" after the iron foundry developed on the river. Throughout the eighteenth century, the Livingston forge created metal products for the community. The town was sometimes known as "Scotchtown" due to the immigrants of Scottish ancestry who flocked there in the late 18th century. As the Revolution drew near, the factory produced shot, cannonballs, and perhaps most importantly, the huge chain which was installed across the Hudson River at West Point as a defense against British ships going upriver.
Mining of iron and lead was important in the early economy; the town of Ancramdale was originally known as "Ancram Lead Mines".
The town was part of the Great Nine Partners Patent of 1697, and was first established and settled around 1704.The town was named by American patriot Thomas Young, and the name is derived from the Latin word, amoena, which means "pleasant to the eye." The Town of Amenia was officially formed in 1788.
Today a lovely village and surrounding farm land is still very much "pleasant to the eye".
Millbrook is most commonly referred to as the low-key version of the Hamptons and is one of the most affluent towns in New York State.
Millbrook was settled by Quakers in the middle eighteenth century. The Village of Millbrook was developed around the Dutchess and Columbia railroad station which was located on the village green. The train station was built in 1870/ Millbrook was once home to Bennett College an upscale woman's college.
A wonderful village with classy shops, Millbrook is surrounded by country homes, estates and farms and horse properties.
Home to Millbrook Hunt, founded in the 1890’s, the Millbrook Hunt is widely acknowledged as one of the premier equestrian organizations in North America and has been a fixture here for over 100 years. The Hunt sponsors equestrian-related events, including trail rides, hunter paces, hunter trials and hound and puppy shows, many of which are open to the entire community.
Along with surrounding areas of Lithgow, Littlerest, South Millbrook, Shunpike and Washington's Hollow are all in the Town of Washington and around Millbrook, NY.
Mabbetsville settlement forms one of the most concentrated residential areas of the Town of Washington, and is the location of Town Park, a baseball field – one of the few recreational areas to the east of Washington. The settlement's main commerce is related to recreation, including dog kennels, antique shops, and a range of home and landscape occupations.
The hamlet was previously named Flikentown after one of the Great Nine Partners. The new name honors James Mabbett, a commission auctioneer who settled in the hamlet early in the 19th century. In 1937 it consisted of a store, a garage, and a few houses
Stanford is a beautiful rural town of about 3,825 residents. It contains two lakes, public parks, a great recreational facility and beautiful places to walk, ride your bike or just take a car ride and visit our wonderful restaurants!
Clinton contains four buildings on the National Register of Historic Places, one of which is Upton Lake Grange (constructed by Quakers in 1777 as the Creek Meeting House) pictured above. Hamlets are: Clinton Corners, Clinton Hollow, Frost Mills, Schultzville, Pleasant Plains, Hibernia and Bullshead.
Photo: Brace Mountain, highest peak in Dutchess County, NY, USA at 2,311 ft (704 m), seen from its southwest - Daniel Case
The town of Northeast takes its name from its position in the county. Part of the town was from the Great Nine Partners Patent of 1697 and part of the Little Nine Partners Patent of 1706. The town was first settled by people from Connecticut, who located here from 1725 to 1730, in a separate area called "The Oblong", which was not part of the Patent.
The Town of Northeast was formed in 1788. Parts of the town were taken to form the Towns of Milan (1818) and Pine Plains (1823).
Brace Mountain pictured above is in the Taconic Mountains, near the tripoint of the U.S. states of New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts. A slate company was formed in the town in 1812.
During the Revolutionary War, iron ore was taken former the former Maltby ore bed (then known as the Dakin ore bed) to cast cannon for the American forces. Newman Martin was a local farmer who served in the British Light Infantry; at the close of the Revolutionary War he emigrated to Nova Scotia.
Wassaic is a hamlet in the town of Amenia, Dutchess County, New York in the United States.
Wassaic is located in southeast New York, surrounded by the East and West Mountains and along the Tenmile River.
The name of the hamlet means Washaic, or "land of difficult access," by the Indigenous Americans.
Wassaic is home to The Wassaic Project, a non-profit arts and music organization and the Wassaic Artist Residency. They provide summer programming as well as run an artist in residence program.
Wassaic's main employers in the 19th century were Gridley Iron Works and the Harlem division of the New York Central Railroad. In 1861 Gail Borden opened a factory for producing a milk that would not need refrigeration. Long sold by Borden's, it today marketed as Eagle Brand Condensed Milk. Wassaic was also known for dairy sheep and grain farming.
In the Revolutionary War, General George Washington marched through Wassaic on the way to Connecticut.
Wassaic is the terminal and final station of Metro-North Railroad's Harlem Line. The station, once located in the hamlet, has been moved to state highways 22 and 343 a mile north of it.
The main thoroughfares for Milan ran from the Hudson River to Salisbury, CT and travelers referred to the road as the "turnpike." It later became recognized as the Salisbury Turnpike and sections of the road still exist today and bear that name.
In addition to farming and local mills in Milan, lead and iron were mined in areas around what is now Millerton, NY and Salisbury, CT which was then brought to Livingston's Furnaces at Ancram in Columbia County. Milan was "in-between" those towns and the river and as a result had a great deal of important commercial traffic going east/west through the town.
Easy access to the Taconic Parkway and home to Dutchess County's Wilcox Park. A sandy beach, two small lakes, hiking trails, paddleboat rentals, concession stand, mini-golf. Free for Dutchess County residents.
European settlement in the Rhinebeck area dates to 1686, when a group of Dutch crossed the river from Kingston and bought 2,200 acres (890 ha) of land from the local Iroquois nation.
By the 1850s, Rhinebeck had grown even further and acquired a reputation as a woodworking center. The town's name on milled products was a symbol of quality, and its furniture was shipped as far away as South Carolina. It was said to have no better in making carriages, coaches and sleighs. Some makers of clothing also achieved national prestige. The area was also acquiring a cachet as a location for the country estates of the Gilded Age wealthy, and those people could frequently be seen in town during the summer and on weekends.
Home to the Dutchess County Fair in August every year, the fairgrounds hosts arts and crafts, car and other shows during the year. A weekend farmers market is always a big draw. The Beekman Arms, pictured above, America's oldest continuously operated hotel, is a favorite for lodging, dinners and Sunday Brunch.
Photo: Countryside on US 9 north of Red Hook, NY, Daniel Case
Red Hook is a town in Dutchess County, New York, United States. The population was reported to be 11,319 during the 2010 census. The name is supposedly derived from the red foliage on trees on a small strip of land on the Hudson River. The town contains two villages; the village of Red Hook and the village of Tivoli. The town is in the northwest part of Dutchess County. US 9 and State Route 9G pass through the town.
The town also contains two hamlets. Bard College is in the hamlet of Annandale-on-Hudson. The Unification Theological Seminary is in the hamlet of Barrytown. Both hamlets are located on the Hudson River and within the Hudson River Historic District.
The majestic Hudson River Valley and Catskill Mountains in the background as viewed from the historic Vanderbilt Mansion Estate.
Hyde Park is located in the western portion of Dutchess County, New York, United States, along the Hudson River and just north of the town of Poughkeepsie. Hyde Park is most famous for being the hometown of 32nd U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt. His grandfather's home there, the Isaac Roosevelt House, is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, as are the homes of Franklin D. Roosevelt himself, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Frederick William Vanderbilt, along with Franklin D. Roosevelt High School.
Hyde Park is also the location of The Culinary Institute of America, a renowned college devoted to culinary and pastry arts.
Smithfield - simply beautiful. Highly sought after upscale part of Northern Amenia, near Millbrook Hunt, Mashomack, Shekemeko and Millerton. Close to Sharon and Lakeville, CT. Highly desirable area of large estates, horse farms and agricultural farms..
Copyright© 2015-2017 Steed Real Estate. All Rights Reserved
Steed Real Estate • At the Railroad Station • P.O., Box 303 #9 N. Center St • Millerton, New York 12546
Tele: 914-489-8706 Email: MillertonNY@gmail.com
Information believed accurate, not warranted.